Thursday, November 3, 2011

Nursery Rhyme Day...and NO, I didn't forget about Halloween!!

Although, with all of the CRAZY going on around here...I could have!!  How was your Halloween?  I haven't even had time to check out all of your costumes...UGH!!  I promise to try to take some time this week!!  So thankfully, I have been meeting every deadline and getting things done ON TIME!!  I hope it holds up!!  Last week was The Middle Child's Nursery Rhyme Day for all of the Kindergartners.  Our teacher is new and had nothing for decorations and classroom set up!  Enter the most AWESOME Room Mom...EVER!!!


She let me do what I wanted...isn't she sweet?


My friend, Kathy's daughter was raggin' on my poor wonky cow!!  "Is that a dog?" she so innocently asked...the SASS!!  I said, "um, NO!!  Sorry but we can't all be talented arteest like your momma!!"  We'll get to her mad skillz later...we're still talking about ME!! ;)


 The dish running away with the spoon...


and the itsy bitsy spider...or Ms. Muffet's, whichever you prefer!!

Ok...now we can get to my friend Kathy...but I will say that I did all of the HARD work!!  She just came in and used all of her artsy skills to make the characters come ALIVE!!


Remember all of that cutting I was talking about?  The character cutouts are painted on one and a half inch cardboard!!  We went to International Paper and got LOADS of it.  But it is sooo thick that you have to use a jigsaw to cut it!!  So for our Nursery Rhyme Characters, I grabbed the ol' Mother Goose book and a transparency!  I have an old Overhead projector that my baby sister gave me a couple of years ago.  So I used that to "draw" the characters on the cardboard.  Then I took it outside and cut it, painted on some primer, and the first coat of tempera paint.  Enter the artist...although, she did let me do the bricks with her pastel crayon thingies!!  But she nixed the original face I had because the features were too small for Humpty's big head!!


 Here is The Middle Child's Classroom set up for the BIG DAY!!  I brought all of the characters in Wednesday after school, and hung the paper curtains.  Did I mention that our teacher is about 8 months pregnant??  No ladders for her!!  Thursday all of the children came dressed in the Nursery Rhyme Character that they were reciting that day.  The Middle Child was Little Bo Peep. Her costume was given to me by guess who??  :)  They all did so good!!  We were all proud parents...then we had cupcakes!!


Yep...I did them too!!  Of course, another mom brought some too...but we are still talking about ME!!  The toppers are what I'm showing off here...not the cupcakes!!  I promise they taste better than they LOOK!  And I did make toppers for all 48 cupcakes, not just mine! Us moms like to coordinate, ya know.  :)

So, I stayed until the festivities were over and took everything down...and brought them to different rooms for the other teachers to use for their Nursery Rhyme Day the next day!!  Share and share alike...that's how our teachers do it!!  I'll be collecting the character cut outs to store until Symposium on the 18th of November...yeah, like in TWO WEEKS!!!  We have four done....we have THIRTY more to go!!!!  Give us strength!!

See...I didn't forget about Halloween!!


For The Boy's orange day....

and for the girls' class treats....


toilet paper rolls, scrapbook paper, tissue paper, and alot of glue!!

We went to Yogi Bear campground for the weekend!!  It was very nice and the kiddos got LOTS of candy!!  Then we came home so I could prepare for The Middle Child's class party and Halloween Craft.



All ready...just need little hands...


or really, their fists!!  This idea is from my friend Kathy...again!!  Do ya'll get tired of me talking about her??  Sorry, but she's da BOMB!! ;)  She was one of the Room Mom's for Ms. Priss when she was in Kindergarten.  I LOVED this little poem and pumpkin so much when she brought it home, that I just had to do it for The Middle Child too!!  Thanks Kathy!!  Oh and did you notice the glue stick?  It works REALLY well!!

And finally, a costume!!  When I first saw this on Running with Scissors, I KNEW that I would one day make one of these for The Boy!!!


 And here is his whole costume...


And here he is IN his costume...well, some of it.  He actually wore a green long sleeved shirt and jeans for Trick or Treating...it got COLD!!

Don't you just love his "head and claws"??  I was racking my brain trying to think of how to do a dinosaur head!!  We were in JoAnn's and he saw the visor and said "dinosaur head"!!  He is SOOOO SMART!!  And EASY!!!  No hard costumes for this boy!  The teeth and claws are stiff white felt.  I just used some stretchy scraps and hot glued the claws on after sewing a tube to fit his wrist!  Can you see I used a red Sharpie to make his claws bloody...he loved that!!

Well, that is all for now!!  I had my GS Daisy meeting today and I am whipped!!  We made ornaments for an upcoming swap at the zoo!!  More on that later....much later!!  The next couple of weeks will be consumed with Symposium stuff.  But while I was at my folks, I found these...


They are acorns from a White Oak tree and are HUGE!!  I want to use them to make some of these....yeah Amy, I'm copying you!!  Until later....

3 comments:

Rafael's Mum said...

Big round of applause!! The amount of things you have accomplished and on TIME!! WOW !! and not only that, it all looks absolutely marvellous! I bet the kids had a great day and btw, that is a lovely cow :-)

Bea said...

Oh boy, you are putting everybody else to shame here. Seriously, when do you do all this????? You should become a theater prop maker.
Really great work.

And, I will so be copying the acorn garland as well....

Bea said...

Oh, and the dino costume looks awesome, too!