Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Another LSU quilt


Good afternoon! I managed to have some free time since both of my at home children are napping! So I am taking this opportunity to post my newest creation! Yes, it is another LSU quilt, but it seems to be a popular request! I have one more I am working on, but it is for a boy so it will be a little bit different. I used my new serger to put the quilt top together and it went a bit faster. Hopefully the feedback is good on how it holds up. I've been told it was the hit of the baby shower, so I am happy. This one is also done with a flannel backing, but the next one will be a palette quilt with a cotton backing. I am excited to see how it comes out. I have been scouring the fabric stores and websites to find different yellows and purples so they won't all start looking the same. This one has two new fabrics I found, but it is hard to tell in the picture. I just ordered some purple and yellow stripe material that looks good online. Hopefully it will be just as good in hand. That's the thing about ordering online, you can't "feel" the fabric beforehand. You just have to trust that it is quality and not be too disappointed if it is not.
I am also proud to say that Bundle of Joy is now selling my Mardi Gras tu-tus. I brought some by yesterday and the owner thought they were good enough to carry in her store. I am honored because they have such nice things She only bought two, so hopefully they will sell so she will ask for more! I am not sure how many of you follow the "Handmade" news, but there is new legislation starting in February that will put a big dent in the small business industry of handmade items. There is a link on the left side of this page that, I think, will take you too the latest information concerning this. The limited info that I have read up on is that with the new restrictions being put on anything made and sold for children under 12, it has to go through some very expensive testing to ensure the amounts of lead in all materials used is below a certain level. It doesn't matter if the fabric or material has been tested by the company you buy it from, or the fabric shop that sells it too you, it is still your responsibility as a seller to test all items. In fact, you must have a certificate of testing for each item sold. So this will either put many of the moms who sew out of business or make the cost of anything locally handmade way above what an average consumer will be willing to pay. There is a petition to get the legislation to add some type of exclusion or clause that will hopefully save the handmade industry. Anyway, just a heads up, for more in depth and accurate information you can click the link or google it, if you are really interested. Maybe by my next post I'll have an actual link if my scattered-brain remembers it!
In other exciting news...I turned 37 today! WooHoo! My how the years are flying by. Good thing I have kids to keep me young! Speaking of my dear wee ones...back to mommy duties. Until later...

No comments: