Friday, May 8, 2009

Teacher Appreciation

Hello to all! Well, I am wrapping up this week with some things I made for my daughter's teacher. She wears alot of headbands so it was pretty much a no-brainer as to what to make for her "appreciation" gift. These were made from a tutorial I got from, where else...Sew, Mama, Sew! The link will take you to the blogsite of the author! The instructions were clear and easy. Here they are:
They are reversible. I did the reverse side with solid colors, so she could get more wear out of them.
The school's PTC put on an awesome "International" Luncheon for the teachers. It was catered by several of the local restaurants and the 4H made sparkly flags of different countries that were hung from the cafeteria's ceiling! Very nice. We were asked to donate door prizes, so of course...PRACTICE TIME!! This is called April Bag, contributed to the Sew, Mama, Sew! Spring Sewing event. I changed it a wee bit by enlarging it and making the side slit longer so the winning teacher could easily slip in a grade book and papers to be graded. But I love how the handle works as a drawstring to close the bag. There were no pockets, and I thought about adding one on the inside for pens, and whatnots, but I was on a time crunch. Maybe next time. This is a very easy sew. Almost like a pillowcase dress so not bad time wise either. I did top stitched all around the bag, which made the bottom kinda flat, but I thought it would add strength at the bottom for the books inside. If I hear of any feedback, I'll be sure to post it.
Next up, another great tutorial. This is from one of my favorite sewing blogs, House on Hill Road. Erin always comes up with fabulous tutorials! The Coffee "go" cup cozy is from her blog. The can cozy, I improvised. I made it reversible by adding a button on both sides for closing. This was just in case the winning teacher was not an LSU fan. But I'm not sure if one of those exist in South Louisiana! :)

While the teachers were having a good time feasting on International cuisine, I was class sitting my daughter's 1st grade class along with another mother. We do better as a team, since I have to bring my 2 and 1 year olds with me everywhere I go! We surprised the teacher by decorating her room with Garden Garlands. We had the kids draw pictures of things you find in a garden, i.e. flowers, bugs, worms, etc... cut them out, then the other mom and I strung them on some yarn, and hung them all around her room! She was very excited about them! I got this idea from The Crafty Crow. They have an awesome collection of Kid's crafts, so if you ever need any ideas, CHECK THEM OUT! There is also a link on the left! Well, Mother's Day is this weekend, so I must decide what to make my mom, since the item I ordered for her is not in! Until later...

2 comments:

Allie said...

What kind of vitamins do you take, girl? Everything is fabulous! I love those headbands and would have to make them if I still had long hair. My hair's too short now. Wow!

Lauranie said...

Actually, I do take 2 calcium pills and 1 multivitamin for women every night!! Allie, you don't need long hair to wear one of these headbands, they will make your short do look just as stylish. And they take about an hour or less to make so it is INSTANT gratification!! Make one!