Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Big Sister Dress

Last week I joined a Group on the Acadiana Moms site that is for moms who make things. I lurk there from time to time because it has lots of good information about happenings around Lafayette. I was very excited to find so many talented local moms! Some have Internet businesses, and others just like to dally in sewing and craftiness in general. For example, Nicole has had a successful Internet business for some time now. She makes fabulous bows and tu-tus, and lots more pretty girly things! She is the one who invited me to join the group, and has been very sweet and encouraging. Thanks Nicole! You can check her out at Fat Potato Designs. She has also began featuring some local creations from other moms on her site!
Well, I couldn't figure out how to post pictures on the Group page, so I just left my blog link and invited them to check out what I've been up to...a couple days later I got a sweet email from a mom-to-be wanting a dress for her daughter to wear for the VERY soon arrival of the new baby! She kinda knew what she wanted, but was not sure there would be enough time for me to make a dress before the birth. I assured her that I am the WORST procrastinator on the PLANET, but would try my hardest to get something done SOON!! (For everyone out there waiting for something from me....I am SORRY!! She bumped you!) We corresponded by email ALOT, until we knew for sure what she wanted. She chose this dress style, which is very similar to the Itty Bitty Dress, from Made by Rae, who is AWESOME and just had a sweet baby girl! There is also a toddler-sized version you can find here. Here is the slight difference:
I added this tie in the back. The dress was a little big, so to fix it, this is what we decided on. Several options were given that involved ribbons for trim in the front and ties in the back, but ultimately she just wanted same-colored ties. I really like the colors, which I had nothing to do with...thankfully!! When she first told me what colors she wanted, my non-color coordinated brain said "WHA....?" But I gotta tell you, I really like the lime green on Navy. You see, this is why I need people to TELL me what they want, and NOT leave it up to me!! My brain doesn't wander far from conservative colors. I am too afraid to "mix it up"!! My luck, when I actually do try....it won't match! :) Well, here is one more shot of the dress on my "model"!
Check out that bottom hem....I hand-stitched it!! See Allie, I'll be doing your Portholes before you know it!! :D Until later...

6 comments:

Bea said...

Oh, I soooo love the butterflies. Very pretty dress.

Allie said...

How sweet is that - I never would have thought lime green on navy, but I LOVE it! You may get a little business of your own out of this, girl!
LOL about the hand-stitched hem - before I got a sewing machine, I made everything by hand! And here I am going back to it. Sheesh.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

The dress turned out adorable!!

It is great to meet local crafters.

Kimara said...

The dress turned out so sweet. It was brillant to add the tie. Not only functional, but totally cute!

Capital Mom said...

That is a much neater idea than a t-shirt. Love it.

Lisa said...

The tie on the back is great! Love the bloomers and the butterflies too. Cute, cute, cute! :)