Thursday, February 12, 2009

King Cake recipe for bread machine

First and foremost, this is not a picture of a King Cake I made. I haven't taken any pictures of mine, but I wanted an image so you would know how to shape it, so I googled it and found this picture. Anyway.... here's the recipe I use.

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp melted butter
4 Tbsp water
1/2 box (3.4 oz size) instant vanilla pudding
1 C milk
1 egg
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 C bread flour
2 1/2 tsp yeast

Fill with:
1/2 C softened butter
1 C brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Place ingredients in machine following the specifications of your machine. Set for DOUGH cycle. After complete on DOUGH cycle, remove from machine and roll out to approx 17 x 10 rectangle.

Filling: Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread softened butter over dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over top. Roll tightly from long end, pinching edges closed when completely rolled. Shape into oval or circle, some like to braid or twist, whichever method you prefer. Tuck one end into other and close tightly. Place on greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise until doubled in size. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Do Not overbake!

Frost with:
4 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/4 C butter (softened)
1 1/2 C confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp milk

I choose to fill mine with fruit or cream cheese after it has been baked by using a large tip cake decorator, then frost. I have never baked one with filling inside so I am not sure how to alter the recipe for that. If anyone tries it, let me know how it turns out!!

Add purple, gold, and green sugar sprinkles and you are done! Happy Mardi Gras!
Les bon temps Roule!

No comments: